Located in a special, historic setting, close to mountain and sea. This beautifully converted, 17th century former stables near Pwllheli, Cricieth and Snowdonia offers the perfect blend of traditional and modern and is surrounded by tranquil countryside. With plenty of features including a welcoming woodburner and stable door leading to an enclosed garden, Penarth Fawr is spacious, pet-friendly and truly idyllic.
As an added bonus, the cottage also overlooks Penarth Fawr Medieval House, one of Wales best preserved Medieval Gentry Hall Houses dating to 1460. The cottage garden area is linked to the garden of the Medieval House which can also be accessed during your stay. In addition, the cottage is an excellent base to access a wide range of popular activities and attractions nearby. From golden beaches and impressive castles to Zip World, Pwllheli Marina and Arts Centres to numerous high quality shops and restaurants, there's plenty to do and see here all year round.
Lounge and Dining area - A large open plan space with 2 extra large size luxurious sofas placed in front of a wood burning stove and 50” TV with DVD player. This former stabling area has been converted into a luxurious open space with underfloor heating and a large dining area.
Kitchen - This modern kitchen from local suppliers, Steil in Pwllheli, opens up into the dining area. It has all the modern appliances needed to make your stay a comfortable and homely experience. Appliances include a washer/dryer and dishwasher, fridge-freezer and microwave etc.
Bedroom 1 - The ground floor bedroom has two single beds and lies adjacent to the kitchen.
Downstairs bathroom - The downstairs bathroom is easily accessible and has a bath with shower above, wc and sink.
Bedroom 2 - The large bedroom on the west side of the first floor has a hand-made iron company king size bed and boutique industrial style furnishings.
Bedroom 3 - A spacious and cosy bedroom with a brass double bed and artisan furnishings.
Bedroom 4 - This double bedroom has an exterior stable steps access/exit and is comfortably furnished.
Bathroom - A modern bathroom with walk in shower, wc and sink
The garden is spacious, peaceful and enclosed. A large picnic table with 8 seats takes centre stage and a barbecue area is also nearby. The cottage garden extends into the garden of the 15th Century Medieval Hall which can also be enjoyed in privacy after 5pm.
- Welcome pack includes tea and coffee, sugar, local dairy milk and Bara Brith
- Central heating and electricity included
- Initial supply of logs included for the wood burner. Additional logs available for £5 per bag.
- Bed linen, hand and bath towels provided
- Hairdryer provided
- Wi-fi available
- Maximum 2 dogs allowed @ £25 per dog (non-carpeted areas on ground floor only)
- Travel cot, high chair and stair gate available on request. Please bring your own cot linen.
- The following items are also provided:
- Kitchen: salt and pepper, kitchen roll, washing up liquid/dishwasher tabs, dishcloths and scourers, tin foil and cling film.
- Bathroom: liquid hand soap and 2 toilet rolls per toilet.
- General: shower cleaner, anti bacterial spray etc
- No smoking inside the cottage please
- Plenty of private parking with extra parking available on site for boats or the like.
- Sleeps 8
- 4 Bedrooms
- 1 King size/super king bed
- 2 Double beds
- 2 Single beds
- 2 Bathrooms
- Accepts 2 pets
- WiFi internet
- Open fire or woodburner
- Enclosed garden or courtyard
- Friday changeover
- 2 Miles from a beach
- 3.5 Miles from a pub
- 4 Miles from a shop
- Ground floor bath/shower room
- Ground floor bedroom
- Private parking
- Bed linen provided
- No smoking
- Towels provided
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Highchair available
- Stairgate available
- Travel cot available
Things to see
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Rib Ride Boat Tours 10% off Anglesey Boat Tour
Book an unbeatable adventure with Wales’ best adventure boat tour company and get 10% off any trip.
Corris Mine Explorers 10% off Mine Exploration Tours
First excavated in 1836, Braich Goch Slate Mine closed around 40 years ago. Go underground and see first-hand the kind of conditions miners had to work in.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Cadw 20% Off Cadw Membership
By being a member of Cadw you will get unlimited entrance to over 100 historical sites across Wales. On top of that Cadw membership also includes:50% off ...
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Visiting Spa Company Bespoke Treatment Package
Make your holiday extra special by tailoring a luxurious pamper treatment package to suit your exact requirements. We'll contact you to agree details and pr...
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Dineindulge - private dining service
Enjoy private dining in the comfort of your holiday property. Dineindulge offer a personal chef service with restaurant quality cuisine from only £25 per perso...
This newly converted 17th century former Stables is located in an idyllic and historic location. The property forms part of Penarth Fawr Medieval House estate, one of Wales best preserved Medieval Gentry Hall Houses dating to 1460. This Grade 2* listed building has been sensitively renovated to form a modern internal space which is both spacious and comfortable for a party of 8. The garden area is linked to the garden of the Medieval House which can also be accessed during your stay.
The setting is truly peaceful and idyllic yet only a 5 minute drive from the bustling seaside towns of Cricieth and Pwllheli on the Llyn Peninsula, a designated area of outstanding natural beauty. Snowdonia National Park is also within 10 miles, with its majestic mountain ranges, including Snowdon, the highest mountain in Wales.
The location is situated on a network of safe footpaths and cycling trails and is only just 2 miles from Penychain beach, which is linked along a 3 mile stretch of sand to the Marina at Pwllheli. At night enjoy wonderful starry nights along with the mesmerizing sounds of nature, including the resident owls. Penarth Fawr is a truly tranquil, rural location.
The peaceful little village of Chwilog is just 1 mile, offering a local pub, post office/grocery/newsagent and butcher’s shop. Asda in Pwllheli (5 miles) offers the whole range whilst bespoke local goods can be accessed in Cricieth (5 miles). There are also many good restaurants and pubs serving meals nearby and some of the best include Poachers in Cricieth, Whitehall and Pontton in Pwllheli, Plas Bodegroes in Efailnewydd (5.5 miles), Y Sgwar in Tremadog (10.5 miles) and the Ship in Edern (11 miles). For a relaxing drink, Tafarn y Plu (Feathers Inn) in Llanystumdwy (3.5 miles) is also recommended, where they also serve good food.
There is also a great variety of activities and attractions on your doorstep. From the Marina in Pwllheli to Plas Glyn y Weddw Arts Centre in Llanbedrog (8 miles) and numerous other picturesque seaside villages such as Aberdaron and Abersoch that are dotted around the Llyn Peninsula. In the other direction, Cricieth Castle, Portmeirion (the famously designed Italian village), steam trains and Zip World in Blaenau Ffestiniog are just some of the highly popular attractions. For families and groups, Glasfryn Activity & Adventure Centre (4 miles) will keep everyone entertained for a full day with activities ranging from go-karting to quad bikes, ten-pin bowling, archery and even wakeboarding.
Remember as well that a stay at Penarth Fawr is not complete without experiencing the taste of a Cadwalader’s ice cream at its founding home in Cricieth, whilst enjoying the spectacular views across Cardigan Bay.
- Penychain Beach. 2 miles
- Abererch to Glandon, Pwllheli – enjoy a 4 mile stretch of sand which incorporates Abererch and Glandon beaches. 2 miles
- Cricieth has two beaches, either side of the Castle. These are a mixture of sand and pebble with a rocky area at the far end of the eastern beach exposing rock pools at low tide. 5 miles
- View other beaches on the Llyn Peninsula
- Paths start on site and a myraid of mountain walks included in your welcome pack at the cottage.
- Wales Coast Path - walk west towards Pwllheli and the Llyn Peninsula along Abererch beach, or walk east towards Criccieth and Porthmadog. Nearest joining point is Penychain, 2 miles from the cottage
- Lon Goed - a beautiful 6 mile avenue of hardwood trees and a paradise for walkers. 2.8 miles from the cottage
- Yr Eifl (The Rivals) – Mountain range including the highest point on the Llyn Peninsula. 4.5 miles in length. 8.5 miles from cottage.
- Plenty of mountain walks to choose from in Snowdonia National Park. Snowdon, the highest, is a must. The nearest route starts from Rhyd-ddu, or you can catch the train from Llanberis to the summit café. 20 / 26 miles.
- Lon Eifion Cycleway - old railway track from Bryncir to Caernarfon. Join path in Bryncir, 8 miles
- Afonwen Farm Pony Trekking Centre offers beach and coastal rides, with ponies to suit riders of all skill levels. (open school holidays and for the summer season). 2.5 miles
- Pwllheli Sailing Club, Pwllheli Marina – excellent facilities and possibly the best sailing waters in the U.K. 5 miles
- Abersoch beach offers flat water for wakeboarding and waterskiing, sailing, power boating and windsurfing. 10 miles
- Find out more about watersports on the Llyn Peninsula.
- Pwllheli Golf Club - 18 hole golf course, suitable for golfers of all ages and abilities. 5 miles
- Nefyn and District Golf Club - a famous 26 hole Championship Golf Course, offering two cliff top 18 hole courses set in spectacular coastal scenery. 10.5 miles
- Glasfryn Parc (Coarse Fishing). 4 miles
- Llanystumdwy - 6 acre lake and river fishing on the Dwyfor. 5.6 miles
- Eisteddfa Fishery, Pentrefelin - a five lake coarse and trout fishing complex. 7.6 miles