10 Half Term Family Fun Activities in Wales
Published: Tuesday 6th Feb 2018
Written by: Lisa Jones
The first school holidays of the year are nearly here and an opportunity to spend time with the family. And to help you with your fun time planning we’ve pulled together a list of family activities to enjoy in some of our great attractions here in Wales. So browse our suggestions below, get planning, and search for your accommodation and come and join us at the Best of Wales this half term.
1. Half Term Family Fun @ Llanerchaeron, Aberaeron, West Wales (17 – 25 of February)
With a range of daily activities on throughout the week, from homemade bread making in the kitchen, or you can head to the garden and plant some sweet peas to take home. Watch their farmer show you how Glen the resident sheepdog contributes to farm life.
2. Spring Trail at Coed y Brenin Visitor Centre, nr Dolgellau (12 – 25 of February)
Over the half term holidays you can follow the Spring trail at the wonderful Coed y Brenin - look at the clues to complete the trail and win a prize! £1 per child and head to Visitor Centre to receive your first clue!
3. Principality Stadium Tours, Cardiff, South Wales (check website for dates and times)
One for the sporting fans! Experience the inner workings of the 74,000 seater stadium and see where the Welsh Rugby Team battle against opponents from across the globe and where the football titans of Europe fought for the 2017 Champions League Trophy.
4. February Half Term Warm up trains, Welshpool and Llanfair Railway, Mid Wales (Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 – 25 of February)
Ride the heated carriages from Llanfair Caereinion to Castle Caereinion return and finish up with a drink in the cosy tearoom at Llanfair Caereinion. The special return fare of £9.50 for adults and £4.00 for children includes a hot drink for adults and a juice box for children.
Please note that all trains start and finish at Llanfair Caereinion only where there is plenty of FREE parking. There is no parking at Castle Caereinion.
5. Abergavenny Farmers Market, Abergavenny – 22 February
Abergavenny Farmers Market takes place on the 4th Thursday of every month in Cross Street NP7 5HD. An opportunity for you to sample local produce during your holiday.
6. Rib Ride Adventure, Anglesey (check website for trip dates and times)
Take an adventure boat ride along the Menai Straits and enjoy the beautiful scenery and magnificent wildlife. Something for the more adventurous family.
7. Mud Week, Plas Newydd House and Gardens, Anglesey (12 – 16 of February)
No need to shy away from the mud here – it’s all about embracing mud and puddles! Head to the mud kitchen for a spot of mud painting and mud pie making! Or how about the barefoot challenge, are you up for it?
8. Knights, Princesses & Dragons, Pembroke Castle, Pembrokeshire (12 – 15 of February)
Bring some magical tales into your holiday at Pembroke Castle, with children's stories about kings, princesses, and knights; pirates and caves; and dungeons and dragons! You’ll have a guided tour of Pembroke Castle and tell you tales from its 900 years of history.
9. Dare to meet the Cadw Dragons at Caerphilly Castle, South Wales
Visitors can get up close to Cadw Dragons, Dewi and Dwynwen, but will have to keep their eyes peeled for their mischievous little monsters, Dylan and Cariad, who are playing hide and seek around the Castle.
10. Zip World, Snowdonia, North Wales (check website for available dates and times)
From Fforest Coasters, to Zip Safaris to Bouncing below in an underground playground, any zip world adventure is well worth it.
So whether it’s outdoor muddy fun, or a castle adventure then spend your family time in Wales this half term.