Previously two slate quarry-man's cottages, Gwel y Bryn has been beautifully renovated into one spacious accommodation that retains many original features. Located in the village of Corris in southern Snowdonia, the cottage is surrounded by beautiful scenery, walks and attractions. It also features an enclosed terraced garden with ever-changing views over hills to Cadair Idris. Central to the market towns of Dolgellau and Machynlleth, the Ancient Capital of Wales, as well as the Snowdonia peaks and sandy beaches.
Living room - spacious and relaxed room with a country feel, featuring a log burner in a slate hearth, beamed ceilings and plenty of seating. TV and Blu Ray Player, books, games, DVDs and maps also provided.
Kitchen / dining room - fully equipped kitchen with a dual fuel Range cooker with 6 rings, 2 ovens and grill. Large fridge freezer, microwave and an island unit also included. The dining area offers another relaxing space with a large dining table and dresser. Ornamental pot belly stove set in a slate fireplace.
Utility room - this room is accessed from the kitchen via a stable style door and includes a dishwasher and washer dryer. Access to rear terraced garden.
Downstairs WC and wash hand basin.
Bedroom 1 - Spacious and relaxing main bedroom with double bed, chest of drawers, bedside tables and lamps. Armchair and rocking chair overlooking the hills at the opposite side of the valley.
Bedroom 2 - Cottage style double bed and combi wardrobe, chest of drawers and mirror, bedside tables and lamps. Wicker chair and views to other side of the valley.
Bedroom 3 - Twin bedroom with chest of drawers, bedside table and lamps. View out to rear terrace garden area.
Bathroom - Stylish room with a bath and hand held shower head, as well as a separate shower unit, WC, wash hand basin and views onto hillside.
Fully enclosed rear garden. Steps with hand rails lead to an elevated decking area with table and seating where you can enjoy views over the house towards the hills and the summit of Cadair Idris. Charcoal BBQ set also provided.
If you're bringing the family, there's also a children's playground conveniently located within 50 meters of the cottage.
- Welcome pack includes Welsh tea, coffee, sugar and milk, biscuits a bottle of wine.
- Central heating and electricity included.
- Starter pack of logs provided for the wood burner. Additional logs can also be purchased at the garage in Machynlleth.
- Bed linen, hand and bath towels provided
- Hairdryer provided
- Travel cot, high chair and stair gate available on request. Please bring your own cot linen.
- Wifi available
- 1 dog welcome (ground floor only)
- No smoking inside the cottage please
- Kitchen provisions: salt and pepper, kitchen roll, washing up liquid, dishwasher tabs, dishcloths, tin foil and cling film.
- Bathroom provisions: hand soap and 2 toilet rolls per WC.
- General cleaning products provided: shower cleaner, anti bacterial spray etc.
- 3 parking spaces at the opposite side of the road.
- Sleeps 6
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Double beds
- 2 Single beds
- 1 Bathroom
- Accepts 1 pet
- WiFi internet
- Open fire or woodburner
- Enclosed garden or courtyard
- Friday changeover
- 12 Miles from a beach
- 1.5 Miles from a pub
- 1.5 Miles from a shop
- Private parking
- Bed linen provided
- No smoking
- Towels provided
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
- Highchair available
- Stairgate available
- Travel cot available
When I saw the kitchen I wanted to cook. I love the way the hill climbs up behind the house and the hills in front. We have had miraculous weather! The hottest day ever in Winter (in Wales) - record 20.3 deg C! We had a lovely afternoon in your garden in the sun in February. Thank you for everything.Gillian from Devon - 1st March 2019
Two day stay visiting cottage was perfect, location fantastic. You really have thought of everything - we loved it! Would definitely stay again to explore more of the area.Lee Cooper - 18th September 2018
Lovely clean property. Nice welcome pack. The beds were the most comfortable we have slept in!Mr David Collings - 19th August 2018
A perfect holiday - one of my very favourites and one of the favourites for the rest of the Collings family. The beauty of the holiday is that it will remind you of simple things that we sometimes forget to do because we are so busy; taking time to listen to music, read and play board games. We went on amazing walks through wood and dale mesmerised by the mountains and swept away in our imaginations by the rivers. There are delightful beaches to explore. The scenery is breathtaking. An absolute MUST DO are the white water rafting and the Titan Zipworld. We have had a stunning week and we thank the owners from the bottom of our hearts for letting other people see the beauty in their home. P.S. Forgot to mention THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, as an insomniac I slept all through the night. Fantastic.The Collings family Devon - 18th August 2018
We've had a wonderful 2 weeks in this lovely cottage. You've really thought of everything to make this place a 'home away from home!' Thanks for the informative visitor information files- my husband had a good laugh reading through them! Excellent location with plenty of walks right from the door or Dolgellau. Our boys really enjoyed watching the army planes fly by! Would definitely recommend this place- Thanks very much!
Things to see
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Rib Ride Boat Tours 10% off Anglesey Boat Tour
Book an unbeatable adventure with Wales’ best adventure boat tour company and get 10% off any trip.
Corris Mine Explorers 10% off Mine Exploration Tours
First excavated in 1836, Braich Goch Slate Mine closed around 40 years ago. Go underground and see first-hand the kind of conditions miners had to work in.
King Arthur's Labyrinth 10% off Underground Adventures
Take an exciting trip to the underground caverns and tunnels and learn about the myths and legends of King Arthur where your adventure begins by boat!
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Cadw 20% Off Cadw Membership
By being a member of Cadw you will get unlimited entrance to over 100 historical sites across Wales. On top of that Cadw membership also includes:50% off ...
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Visiting Spa Company Bespoke Treatment Package
Make your holiday extra special by tailoring a luxurious pamper treatment package to suit your exact requirements. We'll contact you to agree details and pr...
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Located in Corris Uchaf (upper Corris) in southern Snowdonia, a former quarry village that once provided slate to roof the world. Surrounded by an ever changing landscape of breath-taking mountains and lakes. Highly convenient location on the A487, central to two beautiful market towns; Machynlleth, the Ancient Capital of Wales and Dolgellau, home to over 200 listed buildings – more than any other town in Wales.
The village of Corris offers a good range of amenities and attractions, from Corris Craft Centre and Corris Mines to King Arthur’s Labyrinth, an underground adventure on a boat, through a magical waterfall and deep into the Snowdonia mountains. There is also a lovely cafe / shop and village pub. A wider range of amenities can be found 6.5 miles away in Machynlleth, including 3 supermarkets (small to medium size), newsagent and bakery, butcher, cafes, pubs and restaurants.
Amongst the numerous recommended places to eat locally, you have Bistro Number 21 and Wynnstay Hotel in Machynlleth, Glan yr Afon in Pennal (9 miles) Cross Foxes Inn (6 miles) and Salt Marsh Kitchen in Tywyn (12 miles). To sample some of the local ales in a relaxing atmosphere, visit White Lion in Machynlleth or Glan yr Afon in Pennal.
The cottage is also central to the sandy beaches of Aberdyfi and Tywyn on the North Wales coast, and Cader Idris, one of the most popular peaks of Snowdonia National Park. For castles, Castell y Bere in Llanfihangel-y-Pennat is a hidden gem, whilst Harlech to the north is a World Heritage Site. Last but not least, Corris and the surrounding area is also part of UNESCO's internationally recognised Dyfi Biosphere.
Some of the other attractions in the area include the Centre for Alternative Technology (4 miles), Talyllyn Steam Railway with Thomas the tank engine in Tywyn, Dolgoch Falls, as well as Machynlleth, home to the Old Parliament House, the oldest street market on the British Isles and MOMA Wales art gallery. Aberdyfi links golf course, the Spa at Plas Talgarth in Pennal, RSPB Reserve and Dyfi Osprey Project at Ynyshir are also popular attractions, to name only a few.
- Cadair Idris (mountain) – 3 main routes starting from Minffordd (1.5 miles), Llanfihangel-y-Pennat (7.5 miles), Dolgellau (9 miles).
- All Wales Coast Path - this world famous path will provide you with amazing views on your way to Aberdyfi and the North Wales coast. Join the path 6 miles away near Machynlleth
- Glyndwr's Way - a long distance footpath in Mid Wales that was granted National Trail status in the year 2000. Join the path in Machynlleth, opposite the Parliament House - 6.7 miles.
- Torrent Walk – Brithdir - moderate leisure walk approx 2½ miles along the river. 8 miles
- Precipice Walk – Llanfachreth - suitable for all ages. 12 miles
- Lon Las Cymru (Route 8, connecting North and South Wales) can be accessed from the doorstep
- Dyfi Mountain Biking – All routes start from Machynlleth. 6 mile
- The Mawddach Trail – Suitable for all ages. Perfect for cycling, walking and for wheelchair users. Dolgellau (9 miles, where you can hire bikes) to Barmouth.
- Coed-y-Brenin Mountain Biking Centre – Suitable routes for all ages. 17 miles
- Lake fishing at Tal-y-llyn. 3 miles
- River Dyfi offers excellent fishing and is famous for its brown trout, salmon and sea trout. 6 miles
- Machynlleth Golf Club – 9 hole golf course. 7 miles
- Aberdyfi Golf Club - 18 hole golf course. 15 miles
- Tywyn Beach - sandy beach along with a promenade and paddling pool. 12 miles
- Aberdyfi Beach – Long sandy beach on the northern side of the Dyfi Estuary. Lovely seaside resort with plenty of cafes, shops and restaurants. 15 miles
- Watersports in Aberdyfi includes sailing, sail boarding, rowing, canoeing, fishing and boat trips. 15 miles
- Bwlchgwyn Pony Trekking Centre, Arthog - suitable for anyone over 4yrs. 15.5 miles